In honor of the upcoming Handy Reunion, Things I learned from my grandparents:
1. Shopping! Grandma Handy was a consummate shopper. Every time we went to stay with her, one day was always spent at the Ogden Mall. First the department stores, then lunch at the Tiffin Room. Grandma bought clothes, knickknacks, and visited things she wanted to buy but hadn't convinced Grandpa were worth the cost yet. I find that now I visit DVDs I haven't found a way to justify purchasing yet.
2. Love is not always loud and obvious. Grandpa Handy was quiet, calm, a man of few words -- except when Grandma gave him his insulin shots, which almost always involved swearing. I remember his quiet jokes (including explaining Fleet to me) and soft hugs. Grandpa had twinkly eyes, and his fond looks were in the end more powerful than flowery language. I never doubted for one moment that Grandpa loved me. I never even thought he was mad at me.
3. The value of naps.
4. The importance of hobbies.
5. A deep and abiding love for snacks, candy, chocolate, and cookies. "Goodie bags" may have been my grandmother's best invention. We never left her house without a sandwich bag filled with oreos, pecan sandies, lemon drops, licorice, and/or snickers. All this may be overshadowed by the beginning of the Church of Coca Cola, at which most of my siblings worship.
6. It is more important to be loved than to be taught. I'm pretty sure that I could do no wrong in the Handys' eyes. As far as I knew I was the most brilliant, talented, beautiful girl in the world. I respect the work and service the Cooleys tried to teach us, but it never reached me like the unconditional love from Grandma and Grandpa Handy.
A very sentimental post! But I don't think I could talk about the Handys without getting mushy.
You put it exactly right. Grandma and Grandpa Handy were all about the love (and also about the bickering, somehow).
ReplyDeleteI definitely worship at the Church of Coca Cola due to Grandma's influence, and my love for her. Because of G&G Handy's unconditional love, I associate Coke with comfort. :)
ReplyDelete